Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Where Did I Invest My Hard Earned Income?


Life of an Overseas Workers 

The house which i have made for my family.
Working overseas is never easy - being away from your family and comfort zone are among the challenges you need to face everyday. For most, the main reason working abroad is financial gain although not everyone is successful while working in a foreign land.

As a foreign worker myself, i know how difficult to earn money here; therefore, i have made it sure that my income would go to a proper investment back home. Let me share with you how did i spend or invested my hard earned income from abroad. 

Tangible Investments 


Real Estate - I started working abroad late 2012, that was almost 5 years ago as of this writing. Believed me, my basic salary was just around 200 U.S dollars which is very small and almost the same rate working in my country. I was lucky there was overtime, free meal and transportation. 

The living room of the house. 
I could hardly save that time, perhaps i need to send money home for my family to support them. Before my contract ends, i told myself - i need to invest something tangible like real estate in my country although i don't have that much saving.

Luckily, i found a very affordable parcel of land/farm not too far away from our residence, the owner of the land has to sell it urgently due to his son is in trouble. 

Without any hesitation i had sent money to my family to pay for that said property around one hectare in size. Currently, the farm is full of coconut trees and being managed by our assigned caretaker. 

House - after i have finished my contract from my first company here, i have already applied and got hired by an international I.T company based in the U.S, the company is opening a new branch in Saudi Arabia, i was hired as Junior Executive Admin. This company offered me a very good salary which has multiplied ten times my previous salary. 

Stocks and Insurances 

I love the company and i like the nature of my job too, while i was there - i started to finance the reconstruction of our family house in the Philippines. I have spent around 2 million pesos to fully finish the concrete house. I want to make sure that my family is living comfortably and provide the most basic need - shelter. 

Stock Market - I know this is not a short term investment, stock market is not too popular in our country. Mostly of the Filipinos are unaware of this type of investment, likewise stock market is a high risk type of investment. Therefore, i only invested a little percentage of my income there. 

Insurance Policies - Like stock market, Insurance Policies are long term investment and high risk type of investments. But if you are lucky to get a good insurance firm, it has a very good interest rate and high returns. I got two existing policies in a life insurance firm. Just in case something may happened with me while i am working abroad at least i am insured. 

Saving for Future & Retirement

Bank Savings - Majority of my income goes to my savings account monthly, i see to it that before helping my family, i need to ensure that i have appropriated a part of my income for my savings. This is in preparation for the future and emergency needs. Saving in the bank is the most preferred type of investment and the easiest to liquidate. Although it has a very low interest rate and return. 

What about you? where do you spend or invest your hard earned income from abroad? I hope you enjoy reading this blog and may help guide you how to invest your money wisely. 




No comments:

Post a Comment