Wednesday, November 29, 2017

How I Got Hired by The Biggest Energy Company In The World? Part-1

Night view of Riyadh City, Saudi Arabia. 
It is everyone’s dream to land a better job and prosperous career after finishing a degree, to provide our needs and support our families. But finding a good company is already a difficult challenge for everyone, how much more getting hired by the biggest energy company in the world?

My journey to my dream company started back in 2012, when I first arrived in Saudi Arabia looking for a greener pasture. My first company was a manpower supply agency that provides staffs to reputable companies in the kingdom.
My First Company in Saudi Arabia
Kingdom Tower, where our office is located.
I was supplied and worked as a subcontractor to the biggest company in Saudi Arabia, the company is also deemed as the biggest energy company not only in the gulf, but in the world.
The company is so great that almost all nationalities and professionals new about it and wanted to be part of it. Since I was new at that time, fresh from the Philippines, I do not know the company’s history and reputations at all, until I got my chance to work there as a contractor.
Being a contractor is tough, you are held on the neck by your sponsored company with very low salary, and with limited benefits almost to nothing. While I was working over there, I could not stop myself to dream of becoming a regular employee soon. But becoming a direct employee is next to impossible considering the companies rigid qualifications required. I was very young at that time with less experience.

Patience and Determination
Faisaliah building, popular landmark in Riyadh. 
However, age and experience proved immaterial to a person who has the determination and passion to learn. In just a short time I was able to master my job and daily activities in the office being an Admin Assistant. 

Since my work is merely administrative support, I found it easy and light. Although sometimes it is stressful dealing with different colleagues and nationalities in the workplace.
Working in the administration requires patience as you are reporting directly to your superior and if you are unlucky, you may end up working with a not too friendly boss. I was fortunate the last boss that I had was indeed a very professional man and treat everyone with respects like his friends and family members.
My workmates in the office were like my families too, mostly senior employees of the company. While I was in there, I took the opportunity to apply for a better company which would hire me directly as a regular employee.

Until one day, I got a call from unfamiliar person, she is an HR (Human Resource) employee of a multi-billion dollar international I.T company based in the U.S, informing me that I was among the shortlisted for the final interview. The company has opened a new branch in Saudi Arabia and looking for Administration Manager.
Got Hired by My Second Company in KSA

Riyadh capital city of Saudi Arabia.
Upon hearing her news, I have already claimed that I would be hired, although the interview has not taken place yet lol. As if I have predicted the result of the final interview, I was overwhelmed with joy and very excited to attend the interview. The day has come, the final interview took place, being a graduate of Communication Management, I was able to answer their questions with flying colors.
Jobs interviews are no longer surprising for me, as I have honed myself to answering tricky questions. Back in my college days, I have joined several competitions on impromptu and public speaking. A nerve wracking competitions in the college wide, the competition begins by giving you a topic to answer and expound profoundly in a given time.
Remembering My College days 

My former office mates and colleagues. 
I was the champion on impromptu speaking for three consecutive years from 2nd to 4th year in college. Therefore, ambush interviews are no longer unusual to me, thanks to my college experience on joining public speaking contests, it has really helped a lot on what I am now.
A week after the final interview, the result came – I was hired and offered to work the company as soon as possible. I was stunned with the salary offered, it was ten times higher than my previous salary. It was a turning point of my life; I have immediately submitted my resignation letter to my first company and flown back to the Philippines to process my documents back to KSA.

This multibillion dollar company is enermous that it has office all around the world, even in the Philippines. I was welcomed at the Philippine branch in Manila, although I was hired in Saudi branch. The company’s head quarter is in Teaneck New Jersey, the company is listed in the “Fortune 500” companies. Fortune 500, is a global ranking of the biggest and richest public companies in the world.
Going Back to KSA

At the airport lounge waiting for my departure. 
After my work visa was approved, I had flown back to Saudi Arabia and managed a satellite office in Dammam as Admin Manager. I am all alone in the office in Dammam, I loved it as I don’t like working with too many people around. 

I like the nature of my job too, my work mainly involved arranging the logistics of our associates working in Saudi Arabia.
I have to ensure that they are taken cared upon arriving in KSA, I am also the focal point of contact between Dammam and our main office in Riyadh. I was accommodated in a very comfortable place, I lived in the hotel for a year paid by the company.

It was one of the best experiences I ever had working with such a reputed company, in fact I was the first Filipino hired in the entire Middle East branches. Yes, you heard it right, I was the first Filipino in the gulf branches ever hired. The rest of the nationalities are from Europe, India, America, Saudi and many more.

However, my happiness in this american I.T company was short-lived, i have to leave and go back to the Philippines. Wanna know the reason why? Find out on my next blog! See you there. 

If you want to know more about Saudi Arabia, please subscribe and follow me on the links below: 

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ksaforeverlove/
Blogger: http://dailythoughtsdotcom.blogspot.com/











No comments:

Post a Comment